The liver is the largest abdominal organ in the human body which is responsible for carrying out over 500 functions. It excretes chemicals that digest food helps in protein synthesis and detoxification. When a liver no longer performs its function properly, a surgical procedure is involved to treat the same by replacing it with a healthy liver from a deceased or a living donor.
Patients who require Liver Transplantation
Those patients who suffer from irreversible chronic or acute liver disease require liver transplantation surgery. Apart from considering the candidacy, the physical, emotional and financial aspects are also considered before the surgery. A scoring method has also been set up to decide who is in dire need of a transplant, which is Status 1 (acute severe disease), Model for End-Stage Liver Disease scoring (MELD), Pediatric End-Stage Liver Disease scoring (PELD) and Status 7. The Status 1 patient tops the priority list.
Who does not qualify for a liver transplant?
Even if a person needs a transplant, he may be denied due to the following reasons-
- Substance abuse or active alcohol
- Advanced lung and heart disease
- HIV infection
- Massive Liver failure
Evaluation and Tests Conducted for Liver Transplant
- The patient must bring all related medical documents, a record of medication for re-evaluation. Additional tests might also be required like-
- Doppler ultrasound is conducted to determine that the blood vessels to and from the liver are open.
- Computed tomography, makes use of a computer and X-rays to generate pictures of the liver, to show its shape and size.
- Pulmonary function studies determine the lungs’ ability to exchange carbon dioxide and oxygen.
- Echocardiogram and stress testing evaluates the heart health.
- Blood tests determine the biochemical status, clotting ability, and blood type, and to gauge liver function.
- Serology screening
List of top hospitals in India for a liver transplant
- BLK Hospital
- Apollo Indraprastha, New Delhi
- KokilabenDhirubhaiAmbani Hospital, Mumbai
- Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo, Chennai
- Medanta Hospital
- MAX Multi Super Speciality Hospital
- Fortis Escorts, New Delhi
Liver Transplant cost in India
This complex surgery is a costly affair for the domestic patients and it ranges somewhere from Rs 12 lakhs to 20 lakhs and can even go up to 35 lakhs in private deluxe hospitals. A patient is also charged for medication separately. Please note that the cost of this entire process varies from time to time for every Hospital. It is best to thoroughly research. For medical tourists, eminent healthcare service provider in India like Healing Touristry can ease the process with their pan India network. It offers best medical care services as the company has dedicated and experienced professionals.
Liver transplant surgery is one of the costliest treatments in modern medicine. The treatment cost includes physician’s fee, facility fee, drugs and related medical procedures. Please note there are other costs as well as a consultation with other specialists, diagnostic studies and cost of food, lodging, and travel. However, for liver transplant in India, it is important for medical tourists to identify donor from own country and is best to find a close friend or relative, preferably investigate the donor compatibility in your own country and finally investigate whether both patient and the donor are operable.
Summary- Liver transplant surgery is the best option for acute liver failure and end-stage liver disease. Owing to world-class infrastructure, experienced doctors, trained hospital staff, affordable cost and above all high success rate, people from all over the globe prefer coming to India for the treatment.