Knee replacement is also known as knee arthroplasty which is a surgical procedure to replace the weight-bearing surfaces of the knee joint in order to relieve the pain in the joints. It is being replaced with an artificial joint. After the surgery individuals experience improvement in knee functions and pain and can do moderately challenging activities such as bicycling, swimming, and golf.
When is it needed?
The knee replacement becomes necessary when the knee joints are damaged or worn to a limit that the mobility is affected and is reduced and thus, one experience pain even while resting.
Reasons for knee replacement
One of the most common reasons for knee replacement is osteoarthritis. It is a condition that makes the joints to become painful and stiff. The common symptoms are swelling, tenderness and crackling sound when moving the joints.
Some other reasons that lead to knee damage are:
• Rheumatoid Arthritis: It is a long-term condition that causes swelling, pain, and stiffness in the joints. The common symptoms affect the hands, feet, and wrists.
• Hemophilia: It is a rare condition. In hemophilia blood’s ability to clot is being affected. Usually, males are on the top the list of having this problem than women.
• Gout: Gout is really difficult to diagnose as the symptoms are similar to other conditions. The common symptoms are severe pain in any joints such as big toe, fingers, wrists, elbow, and knees. The other symptoms are red, hot, swollen skin over the affected joints.
• There can be some situations in which disorders can cause unusual bone growth, generally called as bone dysplasia.
• If there is any knee injury which is severe then in that case as well there may arise a need for knee replacement.
• There may be knee deformity with pain and loss of cartilage.
If we talk about the cost of knee replacement then India is one of the most affordable countries for knee replacement. India is witnessing growth in the patients from all over the world. Patients from countries such as Russia, UK, USA, Africa, Kazakhstan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, and Pakistan come to India for affordable and high-quality knee replacement surgery. The reason for an increase in the number of international patients in India is not only the low cost of knee replacement surgery but also cutting-edge technology, qualified and experienced doctors.
Knee replacement surgery is considered as one the most expensive surgeries in the world. The cost depends on several factors such as
• Age and medical history of the patient.
• Type of knee replacement to be done whether it is a total knee replacement, partial or bilateral?
• Type of implant whether it is Indian or imported one.
• The surgical procedure used for the knee replacement.
• If there is any unanticipated emergency that has occurred or there is any specific requirement of an equipment or tool during the knee surgery.
• Consultation fees of doctors.
There are various changes in the provisions as well in order to reduce the cost of knee replacement in India. The government of India has slashed the cost of knee replacement or implants by 59% to 69%. This move is taken to support or benefit the arthritis patients.
If we do a comparison between the prices of knee replacement in other countries with the cost in India then the results are as follows:
United Kingdom $24000
This shows that the cost in India is the lowest. The top hospitals that provide the knee replacement facility and the cost involved with it are as follows:
• Indraprastha Apollo Hospital
• Max Healthcare: This hospital also provides knee replacement surgery.
• Fortis Hospital
• BLK Super Speciality Hospital
• Wockhardt Hospital
These are some of the best hospitals in India for knee replacement surgery. Patients from all over the world can have cost-effective knee replacement surgery by their experienced and qualified team of doctors.
The above data and information show that the treatment cost in India is very low as compared to other countries. It is completely affordable and available with very high quality that is why India is becoming one of the most preferred countries for the knee replacement surgery.